As of tonight I have new office mates: our Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. The temperatures are dropping below freezing this weekend, so we had to bring our "children" in from the garage. (Wine popsicles aren't part of our production "plan", at least not this year.)
Both seem to smell pretty normal. I know I should be fretting over them right now, doing testing and taking samples, but between managing new and current clients, finishing a school quarter, preparing to teach and learn during another and getting ready for a trip and visitors shortly thereafter, our vinous babes are fairly low on my list. Add these challenges to the fact that I at most view this as a fun chemistry experiment and I think I've come up with a pretty good set of excuses for our neglect!
The good news about the wines' few weeks spent in dark isolation in the garage crawl space is that they've benefited from "low impact production" and been cold stabilized by "nature's decreasing temperatures". The carbon footprint is so far very low so I feel really good about that.
Patrick asked me today about re-racking and I let him know that it's on my calendar for early 2009 -- thank goodness for Outlook.
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment